Friday, May 8, 2015

Freedom after 56 years!

Hey all,

I was part of something tonight that I have to share. 

I spent the night tonight at the Kershaw State Penitentiary in South Carolina.  I have been blessed to be part of something really special happening there.  Transformation Church, www.transformationchurch.tc,  has a group of men that meets every Friday night and worships our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ as a part of Transformation Church.  It is amazing what the Lord is doing there.

After an incredible time or worship and a great message from our Pastor, Derwin Gray,....there were 31 men who were baptized tonight!  It was awesome.  I have not felt the presence of the Lord many times in my life as I did at Kershaw this evening.

One man who was baptized stood out.  He is 75 years old and has been incarcerated for 56 years.  41 of those years at Kershaw!  About three weeks ago, he gave his life to the Lord.  He was asked by a fellow inmate "why he was so angry?  Where is the joy in your life?"  The other inmate asked.

Tonight, he was baptized as his testimony to the world of his new faith.  Upon coming out of the water, he shared with the over 200 men and volunteers that were in attendance that "after 56 years in prison.....he was finally Free!" He said..."I could not shake what my friend asked me.....I realized that I did not have any joy or happiness.  At that moment, I got on my knees and asked Jesus to save me from the prison in my mind and my heart".

After 56 years behind the gates and walls of prison......tonight he is truly free.

And he went back to his cell.  Changed.  New.

And with the same bars in place.......but Free. 

S&H,

-S

 

No comments:

Post a Comment